This is a recipe for a delicious and moist bundt cake that’s wonderful for the fall and upcoming holiday seasons…also makes a great gift!
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/4" cubes
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 extra large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup brandy
2/3 cups chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup water
Grease a 12" bundt pan well, making sure you get into all the inner grooves and over the inner middle tube section. Sprinkle liberally with flour and then tap pan to distribute all over.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar and light brown sugar, vanilla and brandy. Beat in dry mixture. Batter will be ‘wet’.
3. Stir in nuts and diced apples.
4. Carefully pour/spoon mixture in prepared bundt pan.
5. Bake 60-70 minutes (depending on your oven) until long wooden skewer or tester comes out with dry crumbs on it.
6. Remove from oven to a rack. Carefully run a blunt knife down each ‘bundt’ groove section and down and around middle pan section without cutting into cake. Let cool 10 minutes and then carefully invert onto cooling rack, tapping pan down gently until cake releases. Let cool.
7. When cool, you could simply sprinkle the entire top with sifted confectioner’s sugar or make the optional glaze below.
8. Optional Glaze: Put confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl, stir in maple syrup making sure you press against all the sugar ‘lumps’ to smooth out mixture. Then stir in water and stir well. Spoon glaze over cooled cake.
*Once cooled, the cake could be wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil and frozen for a couple of months. If you want to freeze it with the optional glaze – put finished cake in freezer for an hour before wrapping so glaze becomes firm.
Wonderful served with a scoop of ice cream!