With Super Bowl almost here, I’m giving you a tasty recipe for baked ‘ Chinese’ chicken wings – great for a weekend afternoon ‘nibble’ or served for a casual dinner with a salad – also perfect as I said, for ‘game’ day ….. any sport will actually do. Extra napkins required !
Quantity could be adjusted as desired.
15 chicken wings (about 4 pounds)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
optional: 6 scallions (thinly sliced crosswise), sesame seeds
1. Combine all ingredients (except for wings and optional items) and pour into a large zip storage bag. Add the wings, seal the bag, make sure the wings are covered with the marinade and refrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight, turning the bag over once in a while to recoat all the wings with the sauce.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with Pam.
3. Place the wings in a single layer in pan, skin side up. Save about 1 cup of the marinade and set aside. Bake the wings 20 minutes.
4. Remove pan from oven, turn the wings over, brush with saved marinade and bake another 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and set to broil. Turn wings again, brush with marinade and broil wings 3 minutes.
Serve with optional sliced scallions and sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
*Note: The marinade mixture is also delicious for Chinese Spareribs. Follow all directions above but bake the ribs at 350 degrees 30 minutes, then turn, baste and bake another 30 minutes.